Secure Access Service Edge
Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) combines comprehensive network capabilities with network-related security functions (such as Firewall NG, Secure Web Gateway, CASB and ZTNA) to support the dynamic, secure access needs of digital enterprises.
It is provided as a service to ensure consistent and effective central policy management as well as the means to rapidly react to business changes.
SASE solutions consist of network and security functionalities, typically integrated on one platform and usually provided as a service.
- Remote Access/VPN
- Last Mile Access
- Firewall NG
- Secure Web Gateway
- Zero Trust Network Access
- Provided as a service
- Cloud-native platform and management
What Pain Points are Driving SASE Adoption?
With the increase of many new network and security solutions, which are designed to serve specifically one need, the complexity of integrating those point solutions into one multi-functional platform has reached new heights.
It’s not only about integrating different functionalities but also about the end-to-end testing of those, their monitoring and the operations and professional support of them.
Rigid and outdated network and security infrastructure as well as difficulties to staff network and security IT teams with the expertise they need make it difficult to cope with today's agility requirements for the digital infrastructure.
Recent events have shown that companies need to be prepared with a future-proof setup. A rapid reaction is crucial to ensure business continuity and support the needs for new business initiatives.
Lack of Visibility and Control
IT teams typically have little actionable visibility into what’s happening in their environments and are often forced to make potentially consequential decisions based on incomplete information. This results in the loss of control over network, application and security policies, their costs as well as in operational frustration due to low end user experience.
How Does SASE Help?
SASE integrates networking and security functions tightly on one cloud-native platform. This approach allows to bring network and security functionality as close to the user as a cloud-based service which relieves a number of problems: flexible edge functionality activation to match today’s business agility requirements or increased performance by eliminating the need to trombone network traffic through a gauntlet of network security devices in the data center miles away.
SASE Architecture Advantages
- Tight integration of comprehensive WAN and network security functions to reduce the complexity and functional overlap associated with loosely coupled point products
- A unified network and security platform enables flexible architecture as functionalities can be dynamically activated when needed
- Delivery of SASE as a service reduces operational overhead
- Ubiquitous, well-peered cloud services complemented by branch edge devices provide holistic visibility and greatly reduce end-to-end network latency for an improved end user experience
- Real-time, context-based policy capabilities help improve policy accuracy and efficacy and result in a better infrastructure control